1. On Friday, October 13, 1307, officers under the reign of King Philip IV (France) arrested hundreds of skilled fighters during the Crusades called the Knights Templar. Many of them where arrested, tortured and killed.
2. During the Middle Ages, Europeans associated black cats with witches and considered one crossing your path was a sign that the devil was near. It is believed that pilgrims brought this belief to the United States which is why we still see the connection between witches and black cats today.
3. Triskaidekaphobi is defined by the Merriam Webster dictionary as the “Fear of the number 13”.
4. Rapper Tupac Shakur was shot after leaving a Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas and died a few days later on Friday, September 13, 1996.
5. Otis Elevators claims that up to 85% of elevator panels in the United States omit the number 13 and instead have floors going straight from 12 to 14.
6. Time Magazine reports that “The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute estimates between $700 million and $800 million are lost every Friday the 13th because of people’s refusal to travel, purchase major items or conduct business.”
7. The Gregorian calendar shows that Friday the 13th can occur up to 3 times per year. Friday the 13th occurs twice in 2017 (January and October).
8. Former U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt refused to travel on the thirteenth regardless of the day of the month and would not host a dinner with 13 guests in attendance.
9. Friday the 13th is one of the cheapest days to fly in the United Kingdom. Prices in the United States tend not to be affected greatly but are usually lower compared to other Friday’s during the same month.
10.The setting for Camp Crystal Lake in the film “Friday The 13th” utilized a Boy Scout camp called “Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco”, near Blairstown, New Jersey. The camp still serves as an active Boy Scout camp and offers tours for movie enthusiasts.
11. Popstar Taylor Swift considers 13 to be her lucky number. “I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first #1 song had a 13-second intro,” the singer told MTV in a 2009 interview.
12. Many tattoo shops around the country take advantage of the date and offer $13 “flash” designs or discounted tattoos.
13. Still superstitious? Below are a few things meant to bring “good luck”
- Look at the moon over your right shoulder
- Pictures or statues of elephants that face a door bring good luck
- If you find a penny on the floor and pick it up, you will receive good luck
- Wear your birthstone
- Crossing your fingers will bring you good luck
- Find a four-leaf clover
Book Trino for your event!Book Now